What Cars are Rear Wheel Drive?
When it comes to choosing a car, one of the most important decisions you will make is whether you want a front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, or all-wheel drive vehicle. Each type of drivetrain has its advantages and disadvantages, but in this article, we will be focusing solely on rear-wheel drive cars. We will take a closer look at what they are, their benefits, and some of the most popular models on the market today.
What is a Rear-Wheel Drive Car?
A rear-wheel drive car is one where the engine’s power is sent to the rear wheels. This is accomplished by having a driveshaft that connects the transmission to the rear axle. Rear-wheel drive cars are known for their handling and balance, making them a popular choice among driving enthusiasts. They also tend to be more powerful, as the engine’s power is not split between multiple sets of wheels.
Benefits of Rear-Wheel Drive Cars
There are several advantages to owning a rear-wheel drive car:
- Handling: Rear-wheel drive cars are known for their handling capabilities. The engine’s power is sent to the rear wheels, which gives the car a better weight distribution and allows for better cornering.
- Balance: Because the engine’s power is sent to the rear wheels, there is less weight upfront. This makes the car more balanced and easier to handle.
- Performance: Rear-wheel drive cars are often more powerful than front-wheel drive cars because the engine’s power is not split between multiple sets of wheels.
- Driving Dynamic: Rear-wheel drive offers a unique driving dynamic that is hard to replicate with front-wheel drive.
Popular Rear-Wheel Drive Cars
Now that we have taken a closer look at what a rear-wheel drive car is and its benefits, let’s take a closer look at some of the most popular models on the market today.
- Mazda MX-5 Miata: This two-seat convertible is known for its handling capabilities and affordability. The rear-wheel drive configuration allows the driver to experience the car’s power and handling like no other car.
- Ford Mustang: The iconic Mustang has been around for over 50 years and remains a favorite among performance enthusiasts. The rear-wheel drive configuration allows drivers to experience the car’s full potential.
- Dodge Challenger: The Challenger is a powerhouse of a car, and its rear-wheel drive configuration only adds to its popularity among muscle car enthusiasts.
- BMW 3 Series: The 3 Series has long been a favorite among luxury car enthusiasts, and its rear-wheel drive configuration allows it to handle like a sports car.
Rear-wheel drive cars offer a unique driving experience that is hard to replicate with other drivetrains. They offer great handling, balance, and performance, making them a popular choice among driving enthusiasts. Some of the most popular models on the market today include the Mazda MX-5 Miata, Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger, and BMW 3 Series. If you are in the market for a new car, a rear-wheel drive car is definitely worth considering.