Discover which cars come with the coveted feature: Heated Windshields
With winter just around the corner, one of the most annoying things to deal with while driving in freezing temperatures is a foggy windscreen. Luckily, many car manufacturers have come up with innovative solutions to combat this problem by introducing heated windscreens. In this article, we’ll dive into what kind of cars have this feature, how it works, and why it’s beneficial.
What are Heated Windscreens?
A heated windscreen is basically a thin wire mesh that is embedded in the glass, which heats up the surface and prevents it from fogging up. The system works by running electricity through the wire mesh, causing the glass to heat up. This, in turn, helps to evaporate any condensation or frost from the inside or outside of the windscreen.
What Cars have Heated Windscreens?
Many car manufacturers offer heated windscreens as an optional feature or as standard equipment on their vehicles. Some of the popular car brands that offer this feature include:
1. Ford: Ford was one of the first car manufacturers to introduce this feature back in the 1980s. Many of their current models like the Focus, Fiesta, and Fusion offer a heated windscreen as an option.
2. Volkswagen: Volkswagen offers a heated windscreen on some of their models such as the Golf, Jetta, and Passat.
3. BMW: BMW offers a heated windscreen on their 5 Series and 7 Series models.
4. Audi: Audi offers a heated front and rear windscreen on their A5 and A7 models respectively.
5. Mercedes-Benz: Mercedes-Benz offers a heated windscreen on their E-Class and S-Class models.
6. Volvo: Volvo offers a heated windscreen on their S60 and V60 models.
How does it work?
Heated windscreens work by running electricity through a wire mesh that is embedded in the glass. When activated, the system heats up the glass, which helps to evaporate any condensation or frost on the surface. The wire mesh is very thin and almost invisible when looking from the inside or outside of the car.
Benefits of Heated Windscreens
1. Better visibility: Heated windscreens help to prevent fogging, which improves visibility while driving. This can be especially beneficial during cold weather conditions, which tend to fog up the windscreen quickly.
2. Safety: Improved visibility means safer driving conditions. Fogged-up windscreens can lead to accidents due to impaired vision.
3. Time-saving: Heated windscreens make it quicker to warm up your car during cold weather conditions. This means you spend less time waiting for your car to defrost and more time on the road.
Heated windscreens are a useful feature to have during winter and can make a big difference in improving visibility and safety while driving. Many car manufacturers offer this feature as an optional or standard feature on their vehicles. If you live in an area that experiences cold weather often, it might be something worth considering when purchasing your next car.